In recent years, more and more home owners have made the switch from asphalt shingles to tile roofing. Tile roofing offers some very distinct advantages over asphalt shingles and other common types of roofing materials. Some advantages include that they are long lasting, require only minimal maintenance, are cost effective, and come in a wide variety of sizes, styles, and colors. There are additional advantages to having tile as well. This blog post will talk about some other interesting facts and advantages to using tile roofing materials for your home.
- Tile roofing offers long lasting protection for your home. The building standards and codes in developed countries require that the home be built strong enough to support he weight of tile roof. The weight of a tile is actually quite important because the weight of the tile lends it much of its durability and longevity. Recent engineering innovations have yielded a new generation of lighter weight but still very durable tiles. This new generation of tiles is quickly gaining traction in the roofing market, and is a popular material for people who are having a roof replacement done on their home. The increase in popularity is mostly due to their incredible durability and the low level of maintenance required to keep the roof in good shape.
- It is a common misconception that roofing tiles fade significantly over time. Tiles get their pigment from natural sources such as clay and iron oxide. These natural sources of color are durable and long lasting. While the color of some tiles softens slightly at first, tiles maintain their color for a long time. Many manufacturers of clay tiles offer guarantees against color fading. Some guarantees are up to fifty years, and with some products it can be even longer.
- Despite common misconception, tile roofs can actually sustain high winds. If you live in a very windy area, you need not be worried about installing a tile roof on your home. If they are installed correctly, tile roofs can withstand winds over one hundred and fifty miles per hour. This has made them a very popular roofing option in Florida and other windy areas of the United States of America.
- Tile roofs are very easy to repair. Many roofing systems require large sections of the roof to be ripped up in order to make a repair. This is far from the case with tile roofs. With tile roofs, it is very easy to repair or replace individual tiles. If there is a leak in your roof, you can easily remove the tiles over top of the affected area to make the repair. The same tiles can then be easily reinstalled.
- In the long run, tile roofs are actually cheaper than asphalt shingles and other roofing materials. This is because they last so much longer, despite being more expensive up front. Since tile roofs last a minimum of fifty years, they require replacement much less frequently. Some tile roofs have lasted for longer than one hundred years. For more information on roofing materials and installation, be sure to contact Academy Roofing Inc.